These courses are designed to prepare and strengthen the classroom teacher by providing the most current research-based and proven educational strategies and knowledge. Students will complete several strategy plans that will demonstrate the integration of Power Strategies® in daily instruction. Effective strategies include methods of teaching and learning through reflection, note-taking, summarizing, graphic organizers, word walls, and partnering to increase comprehension in all subject areas as well as rubrics and editing for classroom assessment.
Program Prerequisites and Requirements
- Eligible participants must be graduate-level teachers (instructional specialists, administrators, or any other school staff member assigned teaching duties or with access to educational facilities and programs) with current access to classrooms and a school (from grades preK-12, any content area).
- Participants must have regular access to a computer with reliable internet connectivity.
- The Introduction to Graduate Studies – Site Orientation must be completed prior to the start of the first course.
- Consistently integrate the Power Strategies with other research-based strategies into their instruction.
- Model instructional and classroom strategies that promote global citizenship, acceptance and tolerance of others, and lifelong learning.
- Design and implement strategies to meet the individual needs of students in the classroom.
- Implement a coherent and effective elementary classroom utilizing appropriate curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices.
- Provide mentoring to other teachers as they implement effective strategies in the classroom.
9 Credit Hours
Power Strategies for Teaching for Learning Certificate
EDC500 Power Strategies for Effective Teaching
EDC510 Power Strategies for Classroom Assessment
EDC520 Power Strategies for Improving Comprehension