Certificate ELL courses will build teachers’ knowledge and skills to increase the achievement of students who are learning English as a second language. Online examples are provided to help teachers of every subject and grade level provide appropriate instruction to facilitate listening, speaking, reading, writing, and comprehension skills in the English language. Areas of focus include specific information and practice on methods of ESL; foundations of ESL; teaching of reading and writing; linguistics; and assessment for non-English proficient students.
Program Prerequisites and Requirements
- Eligible participants must be graduate-level teachers (instructional specialists, administrators, or any other school staff member assigned teaching duties or with access to educational facilities and programs) with current access to classrooms and a school (from grades preK-12, any content area).
- Participants must have regular access to a computer with reliable internet connectivity.
- The Introduction to Graduate Studies – Site Orientation must be completed prior to the start of the first course.
- Teach English as a Second Language (ESL) learners the ability to communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in all content areas such as language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies
- Incorporate the four language domains (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in their curriculum, instruction, and assessment focusing on each of the five language proficiency levels Stages I-V
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills to create and maintain a positive learning environment that will support and increase ESL students’ academic and language achievement
- Design and implement developmentally appropriate strategies that foster, nurture, and develop ESL skills in students that are within, and outside of, the normal range of child development
- Design and implement strategies to meet the special education needs of ESL students
9 Credit Hours
English Language Learners Certificate
EDC572 Foundations of ESL
EDC577 English Language Learners/Linguistics
EDC535 Reading and Writing